Friday, January 16, 2009

Dead Show/podcast for 01/16/09

This week we have the pleasure of listening to the 2nd, electric set of this wonderful show from July 14th, 1970 at the Euphoria Ballroom in San Rafael CA.

Despite a few flaws (amazingly few I think for a show that happened over 38 years ago :) I think you'll enjoy this fine set. I always treasure a good 'Easy Wind' and the Cryptical->Other One->Cryptical is wild, young Dead at its best..then we get a Cosmic Charlie!

Grateful Dead
Euphoria Ballroom San Rafael, CA
Date 7/14/70 - Tuesday
Casey Jones [4:28] ; [0:08] % [0:14] El Paso [5:38] ; [0:28] ; China Cat Sunflower [3:30] > Jam [2:29] > I Know You Rider [4:22] ; [0:09] % Easy Wind [#2:40] ; [0:09] % [0:04] Me And My Uncle [3:26] ; [0:04] ; Cryptical Envelopment [2:01] > Drums [7:04] > The Other One [10:12] > Cryptical Envelopment [5:18] > Cosmic Charlie [7:58] ; [0:13] % [0:04] ; Drums [0:52] > Good Lovin' [1:54] > Drums [0:08] > Good Lovin'[3:#23] > Uncle John's Band [7:20] ; [0:04]

You can listen to the Deadpod here:

http://media.libsyn.com/media/deadshow/deadpod011609.mp3

On a personal note, this marks the last Deadpod to come to you from my home for the last 28 years, Columbia Missouri. I am relocating to Lansing Michigan this week, and so there may be a week or two sabbatical as I try to get oriented to my new surroundings. This means saying good-bye to my good friends at KOPN, 89.5 FM. While I have some hopes of continuing our relationship, I want everyone there to know how much I love them and thank them for all their support over the years!
I do hope to continue broadcasting the Deadpod from Michigan, thanks to the kind support of my wonderful listeners.. thanks so much!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for the wonderful music you've brought us over the years. Deadpod is the podcast I've listened to most consistently and for the longest time.

Happy trails and may you find what you seek!

All the best, Kai.

Bumr50 said...

Thanks so much for really putting a shine on this music and organizing it in a format that has really gotten me a lot closer to the heart of the Grateful Dead.

I look forward to new lessons.

Have a safe and inspirational move.

Remember to enjoy the trip!

Anonymous said...

Professor - Thank you for sharing the music and travel safely. We'll be waiting to hear from you from your new home.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck and Have a Safe Trip! Looking forward to hearing from you soon...

Anonymous said...

thanks, Professor, for all the good tunes, good times, and wonderful memories. i know how much work you've put into your professionally done show and more recently your podcasts--well done, friend. take care, be careful on the road, and i look forward to keeping in touch. best wishes to you and your family.
dk

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the good music and good times. Have a safe journey and a good move. Can't wait to hear from you soon.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe The Dead are touring again!! Their entire tour dates schedule & info can be found at www.TheDeadTour.com along with some cool Grateful Dead info!... Enjoy.

Unknown said...

Dear professor - best wishes and God's blessing on you in Michigan.

Appreciate you bringing this music to us over the years.

Keep truckin' on!

shredman

pilberg said...

Deadpod is my favorite podcast: I really look forward to every friday.

I hope you have an easy move.

And look forward to your return.

Love the music, love the band, and really enjoy your commentary.

Cheers,

stickoli said...

Greetings From Lansing Professor!!!

I have listened to your show for quite some time and enjoyed it thoroughly....

I can only try to imagine what it must be like moving from your home of many years... If you need any help getting settled in please feel free to email me nicprice1@gmail.com

whether it be help moving you in, or a recommendation on a good place to eat.... please don't hesitate to look me up...

travel safely...

-Nic-

Anonymous said...

thanks for providing great music every week, i do hope you continue with dead pod as it is my favorite podcast by far. Every week I always looked forward to seeing the little notification in my iTunes light up to let me know a new one was available. Its never easy leaving a place you've lived for almost 3 decades of your life. Hope you have a safe and easy journey to your new home.

take care, chris

Anonymous said...

Kai said it all - Thank you for the joy you've brought our whole family. Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Professor - I'll really miss you and your broadcast (hopefully only temporarily). My Fridays will never be the same! -the show won't be local anymore : ( -
My wife, our friends, and I on the deck sharing bottles of good wine; listening, singing, and dancing to the Grateful Dead (broadcast locally). Good memories. My neighbors had even started looking forward to our little fiesta....

I wish you all of the best that life has to offer.

Peace,

The "Other" Professor (pjp)

jeffsab said...

Welcome to Michigan, dude!

Anonymous said...

Hearing this show over four years after it first aired, I felt like I was experiencing a little piece of history, as the show relocated from its longtime home to its current one. I'm sure it was a bittersweet time.

This was a very good set: very well played and well sung. I love the energy of early Dead; and found the slowed-down versions of El Paso and M&MU to be very cool. Plus, Phil's solo later in the set was a nice treat. Too bad Easy Wind was incomplete, because it appeared to be jammin'!